Zero Waste Friendly Shops
Zero Waste Friendly Shops – Thanks to you packaging and waste is being reduced in the trade !
The objectives of this ZeroWaste Switzerland project are to raise awareness of waste reduction among shops, involve them in promoting purchases without packaging to their customers, and increase the visibility of businesses offering the possibility to buy products in reusable containers.
Since 2018, two pilots realized: in Carouge (GE) and Lausanne (VD)
More than 60 businesses took part in the action – join them*!
You can participate by printing yourself the material:
- The sticker in French / the sticker in German
- The poster in a vertical format (in French)
- The poster in a landscape format (in French)
- The guide with waste reduction tips (in French)
Benefits and ideas for retailers
- Customer closeness – by being innovative you are offering your clients an alternative to excessive packaging: glass and material instead of plastic, for example, through fashionable, reusable material bags
- Customer loyalty – through the introduction of a refundable deposit system or by offering a rebate to customers who bring their own containers
- Competitiveness – because of the trend towards buying in bulk and the increasing desire to reduce packaging, you have a competitive advantage vs the big stores and chains
- Saving money – reduction of costs related to the purchase of single-use objects and to the sorting and disposal of waste
- Discounts from suppliers – through the use of reusable containers you can buy at lower purchasing prices from suppliers
- Talk about it, become a promoter of the movement! – You participate in providing information on overwrapping, propose solutions and initiate a discussion with your customers on the Zero Waste initiative.
Motivated customers will talk and quickly spread positive word of mouth!
Get more information:
Help reduce waste and promote Zero Waste as a collective member of ZeroWaste Switzerland!
The project started on 01.05.2019 and ends on 30.04.2021. The action will then continue in the cities/regions where it is implemented.
- Creation of a guide: a compact leaflet containing the essential elements of the approach explained to businesses as well as the arguments for customers. It is accompanied by the sticker “Here we accept your containers”.
- Training and follow-up of volunteers: in each of the cities where the project is implemented, a coordinator trains and manages a team of volunteers whose mission is to approach businesses.
- Organisation of seminars to raise awareness of Zero Waste among retailers: proposed in each city where the project is deployed, practical and adapted seminars show business managers how to reduce and prevent waste.
- Monitoring and coaching of businesses: following their awareness and the implementation of the sticker “Here we accept your containers”, a panel of businesses is monitored and coached in its actions to reduce waste.
The implementation of each of these actions depends on the resources available to the association. Here’s how you can help make it happen.
Good to know
The main function of packaging is to protect the product during transport and storage and to give the consumer detailed information about the product. However, with increasing focus on advertising and marketing, packaging has become more of a sales vehicle.
And this is the result
- 2 million tons of household waste per year in Switzerland
- 10 packages per swiss household per day thrown away
- 339 kg per inhabitant per year are incinerated
- Recycling rates for each material type : glass 96%, aluminium 92%, paper 91%, PET bottles 82% but only 11% of plastic waste