Smells good! And the smell of what’s in the oven is known to be the best!
Pamela, our administration coordinator, tells us the secret to a delicious recipe – naturally baked with baking soda!
Why baking soda? Baking soda is available in bulk stores and in many other places and is an inexpensive alternative to baking powder. It’s even better if it eliminates the need for disposable packaging.
Good to know: Sodium bicarbonate as a substitute for baking powder in pastries: test it in small doses. In order to potentiate its action, nothing is better than “activating” it by mixing it very simply with an acid: a tear of cider vinegar for example or a little lemon juice (source).
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Recipe for 12-16 Muffins
- 2 cups flour (e.g. mid-white flour)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup vegetable milk (e.g. rice milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sunflower or rapeseed oil
*The poppy seeds can be replaced, for example, by coarsely chopped chocolate (as in the photo)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- In a bowl mix flour, sugar, poppy seeds and baking soda and add grated lemon peel.
- Add milk, lemon juice and oil to the mixture in the bowl and mix well.
- Oil the muffin baking tin** or small glass moulds and fill each ¾ with the mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
**In grandma’s day, the molds were metal. It’s best to use reusable baking tins.
We wish you a lot of pleasure in baking your own pastries and a «good tasting!»